7 Great Garden Activities For Kids

Garden Activities for kids

We’re all finding it pretty tough at the moment – being stuck indoors I mean. With Corona Virus seemingly worsening, it looks like we won’t be seeing the end of lockdown any time soon. We’re on week 3 and honestly, keeping the kids entertained is becoming increasingly difficult. On the plus side, the weather is being kind to us and we have a garden, which is more than some people have. We have to take the positives where we can, don’t we?

Having the garden means we’re not confined to the house and we can look outdoors for things to do. So, if you too are lucky enough to have a garden to use, why not make the most of this lovely weather and take the kids outside. If you’re stuck for ideas on how to entertain the kids, maybe this list of 7 Great Garden Activities for Kids can help. These are activities that you can do with your kids or you can just set them up and leave them to it.

*Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning at no additional cost to you,
I may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.

Growing Fruit & Veg

Watering flowers

You don’t need to have a big veggie patch to be able to grow some fruit and veggies. You also don’t need to have a green finger – I definitely do not. All you need is some compost, pots or planters & seeds or seedlings. You can pretty much grow anything. Some of the easier things are Strawberries, Spring Onion, Lettuce, Peas, Runner Beans & Potatoes.

You may already have these things knocking around in your garden shed from previous years. If not you can look to Amazon. With DIY stores and Garden centres closed, Amazon is the next best thing and delivered straight to your door. Here are some ideas to get you started –

60cm Milano Patio Planter – Gunmetal Grey

Miracle-Gro All Purpose Enriched Compost 40L

Strawberry ‘Red Gauntlet’ Hardy Garden Fruit Plant Bushes | 9cm Pot (5 Plants)

It’s much easier and quicker to grow fruit & veg when you buy them as a plant rather than a seed. But, if you prefer to start from scratch with seeds, Amazon has a whole host to choose from.

Growing fruit & veg is an ongoing garden activity. Once your little ones have planted the seeds they then need to look after their new little seedlings – pruning, feeding & watering.

Drawing with outdoor chalk

Outdoor Chalk
Photo by Jelleke Vanooteghem on Unsplash

Outdoor chalk is great fun. It’s a fab way to get the kids outside while being creative and it’s cheap! An added benefit – when it rains it will all wash away. Or you could just get the garden hose on it and start again.

Outdoor Obstacle Course

Completely free and easy. All you need to do is grab a load of cushions/pillows, maybe a few toys here and there and create yourself (i mean the kids) an obstacle course. Use any outdoor toys you already have – tunnel or play tent, slide, water balloons, a mini-trampoline. Or you could use some of the garden furniture you already have – chairs, upturned empty plant pots or planters, buckets.

Make a fairy Garden

Fairy Garden House
Photo by David Gonzales from Pexels

I love the magic of a fairy garden. My mum made one with my toddler in her garden last year and I’m going to do the same in my garden this year.

If like me, you have a lot of trees around you then you shouldn’t be too hard pushed to find natural materials to help make little fairy houses. I plan to use an old plant pot filled with stone and compost, plenty of twigs to make little bridges and even recycle plastic milk bottles and else i can find to make mini fairy houses. And maybe when the birds start chucking the moss out of my gutters i will add that too.

There are plenty of things that you can find outside to use for your fairy garden. But you may want to invest in a glue gun if you don’t already have on. If you’re looking for that extra pizzaz – there are plenty of jazzy accessories you can order online. Check out Fairy Garden Accessories

on Amazon for some great ideas.
I also have a Fairy Garden Pinterest Board going where I’m collating all of my fairy garden ideas. Feel free to check it out here.

Treasure Hunt

Treasure Hunt
Photo by N. on Unsplash

A treasure hunt can keep the kids occupied for hours. It doesn’t need to be anything sophisticated. All you need to do is plant small toys or sweets (treasures) around the house and garden, draw out a basic map (or not so basic depending on the age of the kids) marking the places where they may find treasure with an ‘X’ and send them off.

To make it even more interesting. Instead of using a map, write out clues (or riddles if you’re feeling really creative) that need to be solved in order to figure out where the next clue or treasure is. Take a look at these examples –
“Here’s something colourful for you to see, you will find your next clue where you might find a bee”
“If you want your next clue lets give it a shot, you will find your next clue under a plant …….(?)”
“Your next clue is there to see, it’s growing behind the old oak ……(?)”
“Spring is here like a lovely spring lamb, you will find your next clue behind the watering …..(?)”
“Its warm outside so take off your socks, you will find your next clue behind the garden bird box”
“Look over here and look over there, your next clue can be found under the garden ……(?)”

Scavenger Hunt

Along the same lines as a Treasure Hunt except without the map or the riddles. Instead, you need to give your little one a list of items they need to find around the garden. If you have toddlers rather than tweens, you may want to help them out by adding some pictures to the list to show what the items might look like. Either google the images and print them out. Or get creative and draw the items you want them to find. They can tick each one off as they go.

Once again you could plant things around the garden for them to find like small balls, certain toys or sweets.
You could also get them to hunt for things we would find naturally in the garden like – sticks, brown leaf, green leaf, yellow flower, purple flower, feather, grass, acorn, ant & butterfly. The list is endless and could keep them busy for hours.

Teddy Bears Picnic

Garden Activities for Kids
Photo by Andy Kuzma from Pexels

Why not break up the day by spending your lunchtime having a Teddy Bears picnic.
Gather up a blanket, some sandwiches and fruit or cake (whatever you were planning on having for lunch), and not forgetting your child’s favourite Teddy bears and head to the garden.
Having a patch of grass is preferable for this one, but if not just double up your blanket to soften a hard floor.

Childs toy Cup and Saucer

My little one has a toy teapot and cup set that we use for her teddy bears.

So, if you’re struggling for ideas on how to entertain the kids hopefully this list will be useful. Failing that, just shove them all outside, lock the doors and put your feet up for an hour with a hot cup of coffee and a chocolate digestive biscuit (they are the best dunking biscuit after all).

Have you tried any of these activities yet? I would love to hear about how you’re keeping the kids entertained.

X

Fancy A Freebie?

About Author

Hi, I'm Alex, welcome to my little corner of the internet.
I'm here to share my journey to motherhood and beyond. You may not find structured advice from a 'Stepford housewife' style mum, but you will get honesty & realism from a regular mum just like you.
From IVF, women's health & being a redhead to pregnancy, toddlerhood & life as a work-from-home mum, I've got it all.
So stay and take a look around, you never know what you might find.

(38) Comments

1. I feel so lucky to have a garden and we have been spending a lot of time out there.
    We planted some seeds a couple of weeks ago and we’re waiting for them to grow. I managed to get everything that we needed off Ebay.
    Great ideas x

1. One Clueless Mum says:

What would we have done without Amazon and Ebay? They’ve both really come in handy for me too x

2. Nice list – gardening with kids is such a wonderful past time. #MMBC

1. One Clueless Mum says:

Thank you. I’m trying to get her into different bugs she find around the garden.

3. I feel very sorry for families who don’t have gardens, we’ve spent lots of time in ours! We just need to have a little more patience as our seeds seem to be taking forever to grow!

#MMBC

1. One Clueless Mum says:

Ha! For the little ones waiting for seeds to grow is worse then watching paint dry!

4. I canโ€™t imagine how much worse this lockdown would be if we didnโ€™t have a garden. My grandchildren love treasure hunts but Iโ€™ve never tried a scavenger hunt. Will give it a go. Thanks for sharing #anythinggoes

1. One Clueless Mum says:

I agree, having a garden makes a big difference however big or small.

5. Fantastic ideas which are great for magical memory making. Memories are all that really matters when it comes down to it – enjoying making them and then how they sustain us as life moves on and also when we lose people. You brought back fond memories of my times with my children when they were little. I loved to do treasure hunts all around the village when my son had a playdate. At the age of 51 I have a sudden urge to do a fairy garden! #MMBC

1. One Clueless Mum says:

Thanks Kate, I’m glad i could create a little nostalgia. Memories are very important – that’s a lesson I’ve been reminded of recently.
      I would love to see a pic if you do decide to make a fairy garden ๐Ÿ˜Š
      Thank you for your lovely comment. It sounds like you created some amazing treasure hunts and some great memories.

6. These ideas look so fun! I especially love the fairy garden idea. #KCACOLS

1. One Clueless Mum says:

They really are. I’ve actually just started making a fairy garden. Its great fun, especially recycling all our old rubbish to make it.

7. joarosetintedworld says:

Great ideas. We love growing things, and our tomatoes are doing particularly well #KCACOLS

1. One Clueless Mum says:

Fab! I love encouraging the kids to get stuck in and get their hands dirty.

8. Karen Dennis says:

It’s the families who haven’t got a garden , like my daughter in law, with 3 children that I feel sorry for #stayclassymama@_karendennis

1. One Clueless Mum says:

Yes definitely. The sooner this is over the better.

9. Love these ideas. I have got some Pea seeds ready to go. Really hope I get round to planting them soon. Never grown our own veg before.
    I will pop on over to your fairy Pinterest board as I love fairies and even though Iโ€™ve got boys they can love fairies too. #StayClassyMama

1. One Clueless Mum says:

I’m a newbie veg grower too. I keep video calling my mum who’s a bit of a pro to show her what they look like and make sure I’m not killing them ๐Ÿ˜ฌ. I’m (trying) to make a fairy garden at the moment and loving it. My little one isn’t too bothered by it but I’m hoping she will enjoy it once it’s done.

10. We are playing Badminton every day in the garden – and I just got Finska to lure others out into the last of our sunshine (Winter is coming…as they say). My youngest has planted strawberries, tomatoes and grass (in a head pot that you then cut like hair)…I think any ‘outdoor’ activity is a plus in these times. Otherwise your house gets very small, regardless of actual size – the four walls close in, if you get my drift. #StayClassyMama

1. One Clueless Mum says:

We’re so lucky to have our gardens, aren’t we? It definitely sounds like your making the most of it. And the grass head pot is a great idea, I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks for stopping by!

1. It grew in 3 days so she’s already given it a haircut. She’s so excited by it so I really hope it keeps growing as fast…these are a time for quick gratification as a single day feels like a month!! #KCACOLS

11. stickymudandbellylaughs says:

Lovely ideas! We have quite a lot of work to do in the garden so I’m thankful for having more time to get on with it. x ๐Ÿ˜Š #MMBC

Thank you. Enjoy your gardening ๐Ÿ˜Š

12. very cute ideas! I’d happily join all of them. You’re lucky to have a garden for sure ๐Ÿ˜‰ #KCACOLS

Thank you! x

13. What a great thing and a generous share! #KCACOLS

14. Natasha Mairs - Serenity You says:

I love all of these ideas! We are planning on making our own fairy garden this year and planting a few veg #MMBC

1. One Clueless Mum says:

A fairy garden is great fun. Mine is definitely a work in progress and I keep finding things on our daily walks to add to it.

15. Some great ideas here. The children next door draw rainbows in chalk on the street and it makes me smile every time I see them ๐Ÿ™‚ #MMBC

1. One Clueless Mum says:

Thank you. I’ve seen lots of chalk rainbows too, they definitely help to brighten your day.

16. Karen Reekie says:

Being out in the garden is saving all our sanity in this lockdown and there are some fab ideas here. I need to dig out our chalk and do some rainbows! Thanks for linking up to #stayclassymama

17. As we are home for some time yet, we are planning to spend a lot of time in the garden for homeschooling. You have shared some wonderful ideas to do. Thank you for linking up with us for #kcacols and we hope to see you next time.

18. I am so relieved that we have nice weather and a garden during this lockdown! The kids are spending at least 2 or 3 hours playing outside each day. We are growing some beans and potatoes this year as well as our usual raspberries and blueberries. Thanks for linking up with #stayclassymama

19. I grew up doing so many of these things and I love creating the memories with my kids.
    Thanks for sharing.
    #KCACOLS

1. One Clueless Mum says:

That’s one thing I’m grateful for during lockdown, creating memories with my kids I might not otherwise have in the same way.

20. [โ€ฆ] much Alex for joining us again. She has commented on 18ย posts! One of her posts from last week was 7 Great Garden Activities For Kids.ย Please visitย her post and give her more love if you [โ€ฆ]

21. Ooh these are lovely ideas, definitely going to try some of these! ๐Ÿ™‚ #MMBC

22. […] more fun with the little ones check out 7 Great Garden Activities For Kids which is sure to get you outdoors this Easter […]